Friday, May 22, 2009

how white is WHITE?!?!?!?

okay so here's some "i'm really white" experiences....
first of you have to understand that 85% of my school is latino, and then they bus people in from chinatown and koreatown and then there is a percentage of black, so white is definately the minority. it doesn't bother me, but it makes for some really funny experiences.
first off is the most embarrassing one. prom. well ya see, uhm, being raised in st. david sometimes it's assumed that you understand things that you don't. so in the car with my date and his mom on the way to prom they asked me what it was like living close to the border. well uhmmm...i told them some experiences, and while doing so i used a term that i didn't exactly know was bad. the day after prom, i went to rachelle and asked "uhm, rachelle...how derogatory of a term is'wet-back?'" yea you can laugh at me if you want, but i hadn't realized that that was even mean. well i knew it wasn't nice, but i didn't think it was offensive. well yea. so my prom date who actually happens to be mexican probably thought i was super rude. no wonder i don't talk to him;)

today while in history i was talking to this kid who is half chinese, half jamaican. well he asked me if i liked the movie that we were watching and i told him that i hadn't really actually watched much of it, and he JOKINGLY responded "it's because it's about a black guy huh?" well i was joking back and said "of course, because you know that i hate black people." just as i said that i looked up and a tall black kid sitting two desks in front of me that doesn't know me, turned around and raised his eye brows. i quickly explained that i was joking and my friend backed me up, thankfully.

there's more but i don't have time... it's so fun and interesting to live in a more diverse place. i'm definately learning a lot.!

2 comments:

Heather K said...

Yeah SCARY! Guess it teaches you to WATCHYASELF

Alison said...

Hahahahahhahahahahahaha. Tell me about it. ;)

Post a Comment